Journey into SuperWaba

Ever wonder what it takes to write programs for your PDA? I did, and so now I am beginning a journey to try my hand at writing something for the PalmOS. SuperWaba, a variation of Java for the PDA, is my language of choice. And I'm a novice, which makes it all the more unpredictable. Hope you'll come along for the ride! Note: You can read multiple posts on one page if you click on an archive link.

Thursday, July 29, 2004

ED: Next Steps are Tough!

Well, you haven't seen as many updates from me recently. Wondering why?
A couple of really simple reasons:
1) I'm very busy.
2) The next step seems to be very hard for me to get a handle on.

Mostly #2. So when I figure some of this out, you get the benefits!

I could handle the stuff I've done so far relatively quickly because I kind of knew where I was headed, or there was great documentation. But the next steps seem to be quite a challenge because I need to somehow get my bearings. How do I go from the sample SW shell program from MobileCreator to a "real" app with guts? How does the whole GUI interface and event stuff work?

To me, these things don't seem to be real trivial to pick up. I have a lack of Java knowledge. It is not easy reading to get that info out of the tutorial (but I have to admit I haven't really sat down with some time to figure it out from the tutorials). If a little more effort with the SuperWaba manual doesn't get me anywhere, I'll jump into some of the sample programs and try to find something simple enough to understand. All else fails, I'll take a sabbatical from SW and write some simple things in Java just to get my bearings before I dive back into SW.

So be assured I haven't quit. It just may be slow going for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home