Journey into SuperWaba

Ever wonder what it takes to write programs for your PDA? I did, and so now I am beginning a journey to try my hand at writing something for the PalmOS. SuperWaba, a variation of Java for the PDA, is my language of choice. And I'm a novice, which makes it all the more unpredictable. Hope you'll come along for the ride! Note: You can read multiple posts on one page if you click on an archive link.

Friday, July 16, 2004

ED: No Longer Feeling Outcast!!!

Happy news to report today! That Palm community spirit is alive and well in my eyes in SuperWaba land. David B has responded to my post and encouraged me with his kind words. Hallelujah!
 
You may say, why do you care so much about a stupid post? Was the information that important to you. Do you really care if anyone responds?
 
Well, yes, it is important to me. The greatest motivation I have with Palm devices is not the PalmOS itself (though I am a big fan). It is the heart and soul of the Palm community of developers. I have witnessed the warm and generous nature of a few of the developers, plus some of the others in the Palm community. It may not be important to some, but I am saddened by the loss of kindness in this world at times. Call me wishful, but I like to think people can
be kind to one another, and not be entirely self-centered. And that means being kind to not just those that can do something for you, or that you highly respect, but being nice even to people like me that probably sound like goofballs because I don't really know what I'm talking about..... yet!
 
I had an interesting conversation the other day with a friend about a small midwestern town in the US. She was visiting relatives there with her husband, and she was amazed by their friendliness and kindness. They were so nice that it was intimidating at first, and a bit unnerving. But once they realized the people were just being nice it was greatly refreshing and reminded her of how, in comparison, most people are so much less kind and friendly.

I see a little bit of that goodness in the Palm community and it's a big part of why I am excited to be a part of it. It's really not very likely, but maybe one day I can even contribute some useful code. For now, I maybe can encourage a few people in other ways like the Palm and PDA forums. Over and over I see people motivated to help one another. That shift away from
selfishness is refreshing. People are born with the capacity for great amounts of goodness, and it's wonderful to see a bit of that come out.
 
Okay, I'm off my soapbox again for today. Next up is some more SuperWaba HelloWorld.

Update (7/27/04): Interesting thing... I looked back at the newsgroup for my post to see if anyone else had seen it and responded. Not only were there no more responses, but it was missing completely! I guess someone watches over the list and "cleans up." Hmmm...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home