Journey into SuperWaba

Ever wonder what it takes to write programs for your PDA? I did, and so now I am beginning a journey to try my hand at writing something for the PalmOS. SuperWaba, a variation of Java for the PDA, is my language of choice. And I'm a novice, which makes it all the more unpredictable. Hope you'll come along for the ride! Note: You can read multiple posts on one page if you click on an archive link.

Saturday, July 17, 2004

HelloWorld2

Today is a brief and simple post to describe a "real" Hello World application. It prints a message inside the main window. That's it.
 
The code was taken from the wabasoft.com article about how to write a simple program.
 
Continuing with my favorite software at the moment, I used MobileCreator to create a new project. First time I got repeated errors because I chose to not let the project wizard create a main window class automatically for me. As a result I was unable to add a class later. The easy workaround until I figure out what's really going on, was to create the project again, and let it create a main window class for me.
 
I called it HelloWorld2, and used the following code...
 
import waba.ui.*;
import waba.fx.*;
 
public class HelloWorld2 extends MainWindow {
       
        public void onPaint(Graphics g) {
           g.setColor(0,0,0);
           g.drawText("Hello SuperWaba World!",0,0);
        }       
 
}
 
Notice that I've made another discovery... how to format code in this blog! Turns out that I have to paste it into MS Word first. Then cut and paste into the blog. Don't ask me what changes, but it seems to work!
 
I ran it with the "green flag" button, and it ran in the applet first time no problem! I changed the dropdown box to use the Palm TE simulator. Works like a charm in the simulator also!!
 
This whole experiment and blog entry probably took me about 10mins total. Life is good!
 
I haven't decided what comes next, but have ordered the tutorials for SuperWaba. Will make a decision based on what those look like.
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home