Journey into SuperWaba

Ever wonder what it takes to write programs for your PDA? I did, and so now I am beginning a journey to try my hand at writing something for the PalmOS. SuperWaba, a variation of Java for the PDA, is my language of choice. And I'm a novice, which makes it all the more unpredictable. Hope you'll come along for the ride! Note: You can read multiple posts on one page if you click on an archive link.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Off Topic: SuperWaba is on my ToDo List!

Just a quick update to let anyone following this blog that I still plan to continue. But between being short-staffed at work and having way too much going on outside of work, there just isn't enough time. In fact, as a fan of David Allen's "Geting Things Done" book, I'm going to spend some time getting things back in order, re-evaluating my priorities, and cleaning out everything that's not important which is sucking up all my time.

As a Christian, I want to approach this like every other search for wisdom about a topic in life... I plan to pray about it. I have to confess that I've let my prayer life slip recently. I've let my heart be distracted by everything from programming to work to sports to whatever. At first, that seems to work fine. But as my time with God fades, my tenderness of heart towards God fades, and prayer becomes difficult. It seems like God is so distant. And then I notice that I've lost that sense of being carried thru each day by His help. And, unfortunately for those around me, I don't have as much patience or peacefulness, so I'm pretty sure I'm harder to deal with. So everyone that knows me should encourage me to pray more... even if you don't believe in God! (yes, sorry, the topic of God is going to come up every now and then. can't help it because it does affect everything i do in one way or another. or at least my goal is for it to affect everything i do!)

Anyway, I don't expect SW to drop off my list. I might spend less time on it, but programming in some form is too important to me right now. And SW is the method, for now at least. Of course with the time constraint and the SW difficulties, I may head to NSBasic not too long from now! In fact, I saw a web page the other day with a bunch of Hello World programs for Palm in languages like an on-board C compiler (the name of which I should know but can't remember right now), a version of pascal, HotPaw basic, iziBasic, SuperWaba, etc. It made me think back on that previous posting about why things are so difficult. Some Hello World programs were just a few simple lines. Others, like the onboard C, were really complicated. Granted, they can probably be generated by an IDE wizard, but gee whiz, that's rediculous! One of these days the hardware will be fast enough that typical functions won't have to be optimized very much to get a responsive GUI, and the code can be simplified.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home